About Me

My photo
I've been watching movies for over 50 years, good, bad and indifferent. This blog simply shares my thoughts about some of them. The reviews aren't intended to be definitive and so are mostly short. I have no agenda in publishing them, other than a desire to record my thoughts somewhere. Feel free to comment if you wish - I'm always happy to hear from other film fans.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

American Crime

USA, 2004. Directed by Dan Mintz. Annabella Sciorra, Cary Elwes, Kip Pardue, Rachael Leigh Cook, Cyia Batten.

This thriller starts well, grabbing the attention with an intriguing spin on a formulaic plot, but quickly finds itself weighted down by unbelievable characters and situations and a plot which is so full of holes and illogicalities it can't hope to ever resolve itself to the satisfaction of the viewer. The script is woefully underdeveloped and doesn't know where it's going. By far the most interesting thing in the film is the extraordinary performance by Cary Elwes as a TV anchorman, which is in turns over-the-top and wryly amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment