About Me

My photo
I've been watching movies for over 50 years, good, bad and indifferent. This blog simply shares my thoughts about some of them. The reviews aren't intended to be definitive and so are mostly short. I have no agenda in publishing them, other than a desire to record my thoughts somewhere. Feel free to comment if you wish - I'm always happy to hear from other film fans.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Hard Eight

USA, 1996. Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Philip Baker Hall, John C. Reilly, Gwyneth Paltrow, Samuel L. Jackson, Philip Seymour Hoffmann.

An early film from this talented writer-director (made in his mid-twenties) and a hint at the riches to come. A character study wrapped up as a thriller of sorts, this boasts excellent performances from all concerned, particularly Philip Baker Hall in the pivotal role of Sydney. With his superb dialogue and the understated performances he draws from his actors, Anderson has created a compelling drama which is never predictable, always believable and continually fascinating to watch. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment