About Me

My photo
I've been watching movies for over 50 years, good, bad and indifferent. This blog simply shares my thoughts about some of them. The reviews aren't intended to be definitive and so are mostly short. I have no agenda in publishing them, other than a desire to record my thoughts somewhere. Feel free to comment if you wish - I'm always happy to hear from other film fans.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Petticoat Pirates

UK, 1961.  Directed by David MacDonald.  Charlie Drake, Anne Heywood, Cecil Parker, John Turner, Thorley Walters, Maxine Audley, Eleanor Summerfield, Victor Maddern, Lionel Murton, Barbara Hicks, Dilys Laye, Michael Ripper, Anton Rodgers.

A rather lame British comedy conceived as a star vehicle for Charlie Drake.  Packed with the usual character actors of the period, everyone does their best, but no-one can save it from being tiresome.  Anne Heywood looks as if she knows she deserves better than this but grits her teeth and gets on with it.  Perhaps mercifully, our Charlie isn’t in every scene and seems superfluous to the plot, but pops up every so often to do a (not terribly funny) routine and then disappear again.  I rather got  the impression that someone had an old script lying around and decided to rewrite it around him.

No comments:

Post a Comment