UK, 1965. Directed by John Boorman. Dave Clark, Barbara Ferris, Clive Swift, Hugh Walters, Yootha Joyce, Robin Bailey.
What a surprise this was! Back in 1964-5 the Dave Clark 5 were tremendously popular and in some quarters even touted as a threat to the Beatles themselves. This film, coming as it did after A Hard Day’s Night, was the natural next step for the band. I don’t know why I didn’t watch it at the time – possibly because I was never that keen on the Dave Clark 5 – but the moment passed and, in time, so did the band. When I did finally get to see it – 45 years after its release – I was astounded to find that this was far from being a pale rip-off of the Beatles’ film. Yes, it is a vehicle for the band in that they and their music are featured, but they are not playing themselves and the music is on the soundtrack rather than the visuals. The plot separates Clark from the rest of the band for much of the time and takes him and his model friend on a semi-surreal quest through 60s hip Britain for the meaning of life. If that sounds pretentious, well, it is, but with a young John Boorman directing and playwright Peter Nichols scripting it held my attention throughout even though much of it doesn’t make a lot of sense. Yootha Joyce and Robin Bailey, TV stars in the making, appear in some amusing scenes together as a bored but wealthy couple and Archers fans may be interested to spot Edgar Harrison, the third actor to play Dan Archer, in what I believe was his only film role.
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment