About Me

My photo
I've been watching movies for over 50 years, good, bad and indifferent. This blog simply shares my thoughts about some of them. The reviews aren't intended to be definitive and so are mostly short. I have no agenda in publishing them, other than a desire to record my thoughts somewhere. Feel free to comment if you wish - I'm always happy to hear from other film fans.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Air Force One

USA, 1997. Directed by Wolfgang Petersen. Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman, Glenn Close, Wendy Crewson, William H. Macy, Dean Stockwell.

I calculated that Harrison Ford must have been in his mid fifties when he made this film, which made some of his action-man heroics displayed here pretty hard to believe. But then, Wolfgang Petersen's film isn't the sort of movie which is built for analysing its reality or logic. It's a reasonably well made thriller, a plane hostage drama with seasoned ingredients one has seen many times before - there's nothing really new here. Gary Oldman comes on board to demonstrate how well we Brits can play ze ruthless killerz with ze frightening accent and Glenn Close pleases in a role which doesn't offer her much to work with. The "Get off my plane" line is a (literal) killer though, and made me laugh out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment