About Me

My photo
I've been watching movies for over 50 years, good, bad and indifferent. This blog simply shares my thoughts about some of them. The reviews aren't intended to be definitive and so are mostly short. I have no agenda in publishing them, other than a desire to record my thoughts somewhere. Feel free to comment if you wish - I'm always happy to hear from other film fans.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Waterworld

USA, 1995. Directed by Kevin Reynolds. Kevin Costner, Dennis Hopper, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Tina Majorino.

Epic tale of a world gone watery, with Kevin Costner looking suitably heroic and Dennis Hopper doing a jokey version of his psychopathic character which we've all come to know and love over the years. As others have noted, it's not as bad as one might have been led to believe from the reviews, the design is excellent and the action scenes (of which there are many) are well-staged. Oh, and I thought Tina Majorino as Enola was excellent. However, I failed to really engage with the characters, and given the reportedly huge budget, I would have expected it to add up to something more than this film delivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment