About Me

My photo
I've been watching movies for over 50 years, good, bad and indifferent. This blog simply shares my thoughts about some of them. The reviews aren't intended to be definitive and so are mostly short. I have no agenda in publishing them, other than a desire to record my thoughts somewhere. Feel free to comment if you wish - I'm always happy to hear from other film fans.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Spider-Man

USA, 2002. Directed by Sam Raimi. Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Cliff Robertson, Rosemary Harris.

This comic-book action hero movie is likeable enough, with Tobey Maguire aquitting himself well in the title role. Willem Dafoe, always reliable, seems to have born to play baddies but here manages to get the most out of his Jekyll-Hyde character. Kirsten Dunst is suitably "girl-next-door" and veterans Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris excellent as Parker's uncle and aunt. The action sequences are - well - full of action, and the vulnerability of the central character is well expressed. In the hands of Sam Raimi, this delivers the goods without being outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment