About Me

My photo
I've been watching movies for over 50 years, good, bad and indifferent. This blog simply shares my thoughts about some of them. The reviews aren't intended to be definitive and so are mostly short. I have no agenda in publishing them, other than a desire to record my thoughts somewhere. Feel free to comment if you wish - I'm always happy to hear from other film fans.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Orphans

UK, 1997. Directed by Peter Mullan. Douglas Henshall, Gary Lewis, Rosemarie Stevenson, Stephen McCole, Frank Gallagher, Alex Norton.

Orphans is a fascinating and highly entertaining film based around a family of siblings gathered together in Glasgow for the funeral of their mother. I loved it for its depiction of Glasgow night-life, its humanity and above all its highly irreverant humour. It's uneven, I think because it veers wildly from surrealism on the one hand to a Ken Loach-style realism on the other, but I laughed a great deal and it held my attention throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment