About Me

My photo
I've been watching movies for over 50 years, good, bad and indifferent. This blog simply shares my thoughts about some of them. The reviews aren't intended to be definitive and so are mostly short. I have no agenda in publishing them, other than a desire to record my thoughts somewhere. Feel free to comment if you wish - I'm always happy to hear from other film fans.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Inspector Gadget

USA, 1999. Directed by David Kellogg. Matthew Broderick, Rupert Everett, Joely Fisher, Michelle Trachtenberg, Dabney Coleman.

Over the years big-screen versions of old TV programmes have left a lot to be desired on the whole. Films of old TV cartoon series are even more ill-advised. As someone who has never seen the original on which this is based I'm unqualified to make a comparison, but I suspect the TV version was much more fun. It certainly can't have been much worse than what's on offer here. I felt this was lazy film-making, just a succession of non-stop action sequences without anything much in the way of a plot or any real characterisation. Even Rupert Everett, an intelligent and highly watchable actor, is here reduced to a series of snarls and grimaces. I appreciate the film is targeted at children - it is Disney-produced after all - but I gather this didn't have a lot of success at the box office, which suggests even the kids weren't impressed. OK, I'm an old fogey, but I spent some of the time watching this and wondering whatever happened to the old Disney magic at producing charming, funny live-action movies - I found myself wishing I was watching Fred MacMurray in The Absent Minded Professor instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment