About Me

My photo
I've been watching movies for over 50 years, good, bad and indifferent. This blog simply shares my thoughts about some of them. The reviews aren't intended to be definitive and so are mostly short. I have no agenda in publishing them, other than a desire to record my thoughts somewhere. Feel free to comment if you wish - I'm always happy to hear from other film fans.

Friday, March 6, 2009

This Boy's Life

USA, 1993. Directed by Michael Caton-Jones. Robert De Niro, Ellen Barkin, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire.

Compelling human drama from director Michael Caton-Jones with solid acting by De Niro, Barkin and DiCaprio. As Tobias, DiCaprio all but steals the picture from De Niro, conveying the complexities of troubled youth, in turns swaggering adolescent and frightened child. De Niro is horribly convincing as Dwight, a study in bullying cowardice. Ellen Barkin plays one of her strongest roles here too, as the mother torn between her love for her son and her need for security. A real achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment